This post contains very rude Czech (and English) swear words. DO NOT READ if you are easily offended.
I would say that Czechs are a pretty rude nation, unfortunately… So I thought it might be useful to learn some Czech swear words just so that you know them when you hear them on your visit to the Czech Republic. And anyway, swear words are ALWAYS the first words we learn in any language so it’s obligatory to learn at least some of them if you’re planning a trip to CZ 🙂 It’s impossible to list every Czech swear word here so if you want more you’ll find a pretty exhaustive list (with examples) in the Dirty Czech (Dirty Everyday Slang), see bottom of page.
CZECH SWEAR WORDS
General Czech swear words
- If someone does something unpleasant, like step in dog poo (quite likely as Czech people still aren’t very good at cleaning up after their pooches), they might exclaim:
Sakra! – Damn!
Kurva! – Shit! / Fuck!, literally it means “A whore”
Do prdele! – Shit! / Fuck!, literally “Into an ass” – prdel means ass
- If someone’s fed up with you they might say
Jdi do prdele! – Piss off! / Fuck off!, literally “Go into an ass”
Jdi do hajzlu! – Piss off! / Fuck off!, literally “Go into a bog” – hajzl is a slang word for toilet
Jdi do píči! – Piss off! / Fuck off!, literally “Go into a cunt” – píča means cunt…
- If you’re talking a lot of nonsense watch out for
Kecáš kraviny! or just simply Kecáš! – You’re talking bullshit!, “kraviny” comes from “kráva” (a cow) and could be translated as “cow talk”
To jsou (debilní) žvásty / kecy! – What a load of (stupid) tosh!, literally “These are (stupid) nonsense-talks”
To je (pěkná) píčovina! – What crap!, literally “This is (nice) bullshit” – “píčovina” actually comes from the word “píča” (cunt)
or they could just simply say Zavři hubu! – Shut up!, literally “Shut mouth“
Czech Swear Words Aimed at the Male Recipient
- If you are a guy watch out if you hear these in your vicinity. They’re listed from the least offensive to the worst, approximately. If you want to add “You are” just add Ty jseš plus your chosen expletive. When someone is shouting this kind of abuse at you the words might sound a little different because they will probably be in a different case (Czech has 7 cases) – e.g. “vůl” will become “vole”, “hajzl” will become “hajzle” etc.
Pako – a dork → To je pako! – What a dork!, literally “It is a dork” but obviously one cannot translate everything word for word because it would all sound very funny
Vůl / debil – an idiot → Ty jseš vůl / debil! – You’re (such) an idiot!
Cvok / magor – a nutcase
Hajzl / zmrd – a bastard
Kokot / čurák – wanker, dickhead, motherfucker, prick – they’re both rude words for male private parts
The last four are probably the worst Czech swear words, that I know of anyway, perhaps I’ve just led a sheltered life and someone will educate me.
Czech Swear Words Aimed at the Female Recipient
- Not so many Czech swear words pertaining to us delicate females. Just a handful that I’ve managed to dig out from my Czech swear words “drawer”. And again, just like with the masculine words, they might change slightly if someone is shouting them at you – e.g. “píča” will become “píčo”.
Káča pitomá! – Stupid mare!, literally “mare stupid” – káča is just a derogatory term and doesn’t really mean a mare in the horsey sense of the word.
Kráva – a cow, no further explanation needed
Mrcha – a bitch
Děvka / kurva – a whore
Píča – a cunt (probably my least favourite…)
You can find more Czech swear words in the book Dirty Czech (Dirty Everyday Slang), which you can buy on Amazon.